As with each new generation, humanity has arguably never had it so good. Modern life is full of convenience, wonder and easy access to entertainment and communication.
Despite this, modern life is also tough. Constantly being switched on and connected also means we have easy access to the less-appealing parts of modern society, such as the negative news-cycle, anonymous online criticism, and influencer culture, that can all encourage negative feelings, and lead to us feeling lost.
This is what makes the concept of living off grid appealing to so many.
The Off grid lifestyle is the idea of taking back control of the day-to-day, away from the pressure and expectation of modern life. You can live off grid however you like. If you want to completely cut yourself off from your surrounding and live exclusively off the land, produce your own food, your own power and find your own water source, you can. Alternatively, if you want a little more convenience and luxury, you can have that as well.
Your off grid experience differs depending on who you are and what you want out of it. However, there are always a few things worth considering before you embark on this journey. Understanding how to live off the grid, as well as what you can do to overcome the challenges it can bring, can put you in good stead for your new life.
Checklist for Living off the Grid
When preparing to live off grid, there are a few factors you need to make sure you account for. Without things such as access to clean water, heating, food, etc. you could be forced to return to city life quicker than you would have planned.
Things you should take into account while planning for life off grid include:
- Power: Off Grid does not mean you need to revert to the dark ages. You can still generate power to enjoy all the modern amenities you want to make your life more comfortable and enjoyable. Common methods of power generation are: solar panels, wind turbines, and hydroelectric power.
- Location: When considering the move to a life off grid, it is key that you select the ideal location — somewhere suitable for purpose, and affordable. Once you select a lot, it is vital that you research local laws and planning restrictions before you commit to anything.
- Clean water: When searching for an appropriate location, check what water sources are available. A borehole is a common source of water in the UK, or you could consider collecting and filtering rainwater as an alternative option.
- Food: A life off the grid represents an ideal opportunity to be at one with nature. One of the best ways you can do this is to grow your own sources of food. You can comfortably grow any fruits and vegetables you may need, and can even raise livestock if that interests you.
- Heating: Once you have water, the next key step is that you need to keep warm. There are various options that can do the job; you can use your electricity to power a heater, you can install insulation, or you can use some of the natural resources around you to generate heat while saving money.
- Waste: Off grid living isn’t all glamour. It is important for the ecosystem around you that you make plans for waste management. Make sure you conduct ample research into this, as you don’t want to be left unprepared.
Modern off Grid Living
For years the concept of off grid living has evoked images of shacks in the middle of nowhere. The sort of place a group of teeneagers go on holiday in a horror movie, never to return. At Live off Grid we are passionate about updating this idea. Every home we create is purpose-built to be perfect for modern living.
It’s the 21st Century, and people no longer need to spend evenings huddled together for warmth, and eating lukewarm tinned food over a hastily prepared flame. You can escape to the countryside and return yourself to nature, without ever needing to sacrifice some of the comfort and modern touches you have grown accustomed to in city life.
We create ideal spaces that people will want to work out in, want to work in, cook in, host in, show off in, live in. We are so confident that we can do just this because we have a world class team of designers who create beautiful spaces, places to make anybody stuck in a cramped city centre studio apartment green with envy.
How do you Make Money Living off the Grid
In the past, people looking to eschew the city life for a more sustainable one in the country have faced financial obstacles. Can they afford to leave their city jobs to return to nature? However, as a result of the recent shift in the working culture caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, opportunities have opened up to work from virtually anywhere you like.
A person’s day job no longer needs to keep them stuck in a city centre desk. Studies have shown that working from home, in a more casual, flexible setting has benefited worker morale. It has also saved many employers money on office rent and supplies, and the employee saves money on things like the commute.
With the grip the pandemic had on employers gradually loosening, many businesses have found that the new working culture built over the previous 18 months actually suited everybody. Therefore, it has never been easier for you to convert your traditional office job to a remote one.
It can benefit both sides, and all you will need is a solid internet connection, something that is becoming easier and easier to get.
Another option you could consider for modern off grid living could be to create an online business for yourself. This type of company has unlimited potential for a person living off the grid.
An online business could be an excellent option for you to bring an additional purpose to your day-to-day life off-grid. The world is your oyster when it comes to running an online business — you can sell your wares, your art, your produce, and you could even make some extra money by selling electricity you generate back to the National Grid.
Can you Live Completely off the Grid?
Living completely off the grid has arguably never been more accessible. Recent technological advancements have made things like clean water, renewable energy, and eco-friendly waste disposal significantly easier to get your hands on. These are things that have, in the past, inhibited some people from embracing this more natural way of living.
You can grow your own food, source your own clean water, power your own home, and stay warm, all by pairing the natural resources around you with human ingenuity and hard work.
Shape Life Around You
Living off grid is, at a core level, a concept that is based entirely around you. How to live off the grid is shaped by just how far ‘off the grid’ you want to go. If your idea of this is to live in a beautiful modern converted shipping container home with access to all modern amenities, while escaping the hustle and bustle of city life you can, or if you would prefer to drop entirely off the grid and live simply, off the land, deep in nature, you can do that too.
The accessibility of modern off grid leaving means that it represents a genuinely viable alternative to modern life. You can leave the city living behind and return to the natural world without even needing to sacrifice your work, your passions, or even home comforts.